If you are missing a tooth, your oral surgeon may recommend a dental implant. Dental implants have two parts: a post surgically implanted in your jaw, and a crown that looks just like your tooth. As an alternative to conventional crowns and bridges, implants feel more natural and secure.
Expert dental implant care in New eltham, London.
Our oral surgeons have special expertise in placing dental implants. They work in close collaboration with restorative dentists, or prosthodontists, to help plan and place implants to replace missing teeth. If necessary, our oral surgeons can also reconstruct bone in places needing extra support so the implant sits in a sturdy foundation. Some patients may also need to modify gum tissue surrounding implants, to make teeth placed on implants look even more natural. Learn more about bone and tissue grafting.
Why would I choose a dental implant?
Dental implants are well made and will last a lifetime. You won’t ever have to remove or clean the implants—they look and feel like your natural teeth. They are, quite simply, the best way to replace missing or damaged teeth.
Patients are good candidates if they are:
- Have adequate bone support in their jaw
- Candidates for bone enhancement techniques
What is the process for getting a dental implant?
If you are a patient who is having a tooth removed, your oral surgeon will discuss the option for a dental implant before your tooth extraction surgery. If you have lost your tooth already, your oral surgeon will probably:
- Do a full dental examination, including X-rays.
- Explain the surgery behind dental implants. Typically, your oral surgeon will drill a space in your jaw to hold the implant; then the implant is placed in the jaw.
- After a few months, to allow time for the implant to integrate with the jaw, your restorative dentist will place the crown on top of the implant.